Regularly taking backups of your website should be one of the things to consider once you set up your WordPress website.
By doing this, you can easily restore your site to its normal state if something goes wrong. With the help of a WordPress backup plugin, you can easily take daily, weekly, or monthly backups of your site files.
In this article, we will list seven of the best WordPress backup plugins that you can install on your site to take your files, themes, plugins, and database backup. We will list their features and pricing.
Let’s get started.
UpdraftPlus is the leading WordPress backup plugin so far that allows you to automatically back up your entire WordPress website files, including themes, plugins, and database.
You can set it to backup your entire WordPress website either daily or a weekly basis on the UpdraftPlus plugin. It lets you back up your files and save them automatically to cloud storage platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, or the UpdraftVault, UpdraftPlus integrated storage option.
The UpdraftPlus backup plugin is currently used by over 3 million users including us (AKPevweTech). We are using the UpdraftPlus plugin to automatically take a backup of our website and then store it on Google Drive cloud storage.
UpdraftPlus Top Features
- Backup: The backup feature is one the best features in UpdraftPlus that lets you back up your WordPress website files, themes, plugins, and database. Either by doing it manually or automatically.
- Schedules: UpdraftPlus lets you schedule your WordPress backups for 12 hours, daily, weekly, fortnightly, or monthly. The daily backup is highly recommended and will save you lots of time.
- Restore: UpdraftPlus lets you restore your files backup directly from your WordPress admin panel (you need to first take a backup). This feature saves us lots of stress in restoring our website when we change our hosting provider.
- Clone: The clone feature lets you clone your WordPress website. This is useful in testing a new plugin, theme, or development instead of doing it on your live site.
- Migration: You can easily migrate your WordPress website to another WordPress website without paying for another plugin.
UpdraftPlus is free to use but also has tons of premium features which are divided into five plans: Personal, Business, Agency, Enterprise, and Gold.
The Personal plan costs $84.00 for 2 licenses, the business plan costs, $114.00 for 10 licenses, the agency plan costs $174.00 for 35 licenses, while the enterprise plan costs $478.80 / yearly.
2. Solid Backups
Solid Backups (formally BackupBuddy) is another best WordPress backup plugin to try. It is a premium plugin with tons of features to ease the stress of taking a website backup.
With Solid Backups, you can back up your entire WordPress site directly from the WordPress admin dashboard. It lets you backup your site files, folders, themes, plugins, and database.
Then send the backup files to a safe cloud storage platform like Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Amazon S3, or even to your email address. Additionally, you can use Solid Stash Live to create and save snapshots of your site time when it changes.
Solid Backups Top Features
- Custom Schedules: This lets you create custom schedules to back up all your sites. Set le to run hourly backups, twice daily, daily, every other day, bi-weekly, weekly, and monthly.
- Site Migrations: Let’s migrate your site to build it locally and then deploy it live on the live site when you are done with development.
- Backup Notifications: You get an instant notification on your email when backups are completed.
Solid Backups Pricing
Solid Backups is a premium backup plugin for WordPress that costs $59.40 for the first year and then charges $99 / year for the following years.
3. Jetpack VaultPress Backups
The downside of using the Jetpack VaultPress Backups plugin is that it is not free. It needs you to have a paid Jetpack plan that includes Backup like the Security plan which costs around $5.97 per month for the first year (billed yearly) or $2.97 per month for the first year (billed yearly).
If you can afford to pay for the Jetpack Security plan, it will give you more tools to grow your WordPress website such as Jetpack Security, Akismet Anti-spam (for spam protection), Scan ( for malware scanning), and VaultPress Backup plugin (for taking backup).
Jetpack VaultPress Backups Top Features
- Cloud Storage Backup
- Unlimited restore of backup
- Unlimited site migrations
- 10GB of backup storage
- 30-day archive & activity log
- WooCommerce site support
Jetpack VaultPress Backups Pricing
Jetpack VaultPress Backups plugin costs $2.97 per month for the first year (billed yearly) then in the following year, it charges $9.95 per year instead of $2.97.
BlogVault backup plugin is a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution rather than just a WordPress plugin. It provides a seamless site backup solution for WordPress websites.
BlogVault offers unlimited backup storage on its servers to save website files. The backup process doesn’t slow down your site because it uses its server.
The plugin is not free, which means you need to pay to use it on your WordPress site. It comes with an Emergency Connector feature that you can use to restore your site in case it crashes.
BlogVault Top Features
- Partial Restore: You can use it to partially restore and reverse an update or rollback to an older version of a plugin.
- Staging Site: Create a staging site easily with one click for testing purposes then repeat or merge the changes on the live site.
- Migration: Move your site to another hosting service without losing any files.
- Activity Log: Monitor all changes happening to your website. Debug any problems with your website and reduce downtime.
- Multisite Backup: It supports taking backup of multisite.
BlogVault has five pricing plans: Plus, Prime, Pro, and Max. The plus plan costs $149 / yearly, the prime plan costs $199 / yearly, the pro plan costs $299 / yearly, while the max plan costs 499 / yearly for 1 site.
BackWPup is a free WordPress backup plugin that can be used to create a backup and then store it on cloud storage platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and FTP.
The downside of using the BackWPup plugin is that the restore feature is a premium feature, either through the Pro version or via their Standalone Restore App.
This means that if you have taken a backup of your site on the free version you can’t restore it if something goes wrong with your site unless you upgrade to the premium version.
If you choose not to upgrade, you can still restore your site backup but you need to do it manually through your hosting cPanel account which may be a difficult problem.
BackWPup Top Features
- Automatic Restore of backup files (premium feature).
- Database Backup.
- Encrypt Backup Archives.
- Migrate your site to a new domain or hosting.
BackWPup is free but limited and the Standard paid plan costs $69.00.
Duplicator is a website migration plugin for WordPress but also comes with a backup feature that allows you to easily back up your site.
You can create manual or scheduled WordPress backups on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis on Duplicator and safely store them on popular cloud storage platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, FTP, OneDrive, and Amazon S3.
Duplicator Top Features
- Moving a WordPress site from one host to another.
- Cloning of a live site to localhost for further development.
- Backing up sites and storing them on cloud storage platforms.
- Scheduling of backup (daily, weekly, or monthly basis).
Duplicator has four paid pricing plans: Basic, Plus, Pro, and Elite. The basic plan costs $49.50 / yearly, the plus plan costs $89.55 / yearly, the pro plan costs $159.60 / yearly, and the Elite plan costs $209.65 / yearly.
7. WP Staging
WP Staging is an all-in-one WordPress Backup and Migration Plugin. It comes with tons of features like website cloning, backup, migration, and creating of staging site.
On the free version of WP Staging, you can’t store your website files backup on cloud storage platforms like Amazon S3, Google Drive, DigitalOcean Spaces, FTP, SFTP, and Dropbox. It is only available on the pro version.
The other important features of taking backups, restoring backups, scheduling backups, and cloning remain free. For more comparisons between the free and pro versions of WP Staging, see the screenshot below.
WP Staging Top Features
- Site Backups
- Website Transfer
- Website Cloning
- Backup Email Reporting
WP Staging Pricing
WP Staging has four pricing plans: Personal, Business, Developer, and Agency. The personal plan costs €7.41 / month, the business plan costs €11.58 / month, the developer plan costs €19.91 / month, and the agency plan costs €24.91 / month.
Benefits of Installing a WordPress Backup Plugins for Your Website
- To prevent data loss. With the help of a WordPress backup plugin, you can create a copy of your website’s data, including your files, themes, database, and plugins. Then restore it to its current state when your website has issues or is hacked.
- To ease the migration process. WordPress backup plugins can make it easier to migrate your website to a new hosting provider or domain name. By having a complete backup of your website, you can easily transfer your data and settings to the new environment.
- To have peace of mind. Knowing that your website is being backed up regularly can bring peace of mind and reduce stress. You can be confident that if an issue arises, you will be able to quickly restore your website to its normal state and avoid inconveniences.
Conclusion: Which WordPress Backup Plugin Should You Choose?
It is free to use and we also use it on this website (AKPevweTech) while the Solid Backups plugin comes with tons of features for backing up your WordPress website.
If you are looking for a free WordPress backup plugin to use, try UpdraftPlus while if it is a premium plugin you need, try Solid Backups.